Who found it by the way? Not Bryan. LOL
----- Original Message -----
From: Kent McFarland
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 10:04 AM
Subject: [VTLEPS] new species for Vermont!

Hello VT Butterfly fans,
I'd like to report a new addition to the Vermont butterfly list. The attached photo of a Giant Swallowtail was taken in Addison on 7-30-2010. This species is known to stray north and I am not surprised we have finally recorded this species in the state. I will add this record to the Butterflies and Moths of North American database (see http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=1366) and to the Vermont state butterfly list as a vagrant (see http://www.vtecostudies.org/VBS/VTstatelist.pdf). Depending on you taxonomic pleasure (split or lump), this represents the 105 butterfly species found in Vermont. The butterfly has apparently not been seen again there.

Of course, we are getting into that season in which southern vagrants come north, so keep your binos peeled....

Kent
Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 Norwich, VT 05055