The idea that all the medical information a healthcare worker needs is
immediately available for free on the Internet is not limited to
hospital administrators, or accrediting agencies.

When I was at the 10th ICML a prestigious researcher proudly told us
that his new institute doesn't have (or need) a library.  The Internet
and personal subscriptions supply all their information needs.  When I
asked for clarification it turns out that they are relying on library
services and electronic resources provided by libraries, just not one
that his institution pays for.

When I pointed out that he was actually using libraries he still didn't
see the need for one at his institute because someone else was paying
for his access and that was all he cared about.

The only place I don't see this attitude is at the small hospitals in
the US affiliated Pacific Islands where a friend and I are setting up
medical libraries.  Having relied only on electronic resources in an
area with limited Internet access, they are grateful for having physical
materials.  We are now working on developing library managers for the
libraries to add to the services they provide.

[Disclaimer]  This is my opinion and not that of my employer, the
hospital, the US Navy, the US DoD, or any other sentient being.

good day,
Alice

AEHadley
Guam

Your Personal Medical INFORMATION Shopper for patient care, education
and research

Medical Library     344-9250

The more you know the better you heal.