As discussed in a different thread on IT-Discuss this AM, we believe that this problem is being cause by bad ESET NOD32 signatures.  The "bad" signatures are database version 5418.  "Good" signatures are version 5419 or later.  If your system locks up, force a restart.  When NOD32 next starts up, it should connect to the ESET signature distribution mirrors and fetch the new sigs before it gets a chance to cause too much trouble.

I can tell you from experience that if you restart while disconnected from the network, NOD32 likely will not obtain signature updates before some other background process on your system connects to the network and locks up your computer again.

--
J. Greg Mackinnon | ETS Systems Architecture and Administration | x68251