Hi, Larry,

Office and Windows use a Volume License activation facility to activate
those products, usually without user intervention. Occasionally, there can
be issues, usually related to network configuration issues. I have a pretty
detailed set of instructions for gathering diagnostic information and
resolving activation problems.

http://www.uvm.edu/~gcd/2008/09/troubleshooting-windows-activation/

Please note that I urge folks to collect the diagnostic data. In the
article, I say:

   I recommend opening a text editor and copying all the commands
   and output into a file, which you can send to us if you need
   additional help resolving the activation issue.

If you find you still have difficulty after working through the
troubleshooting steps, we'll need that collected diagnostic info to help you
identify the actual problem.

--Geoff