There are a few people fields in LDAP that I'd like to know more about.
One would be ou/Department. When I was running a search on the list
archives I saw someone say that this was directly from PeopleSoft. Can
anyone give me any information that would help me follow up on that?
It's nice to know where it comes from, but I would like to be able to
derive human-readable versions if possible.

Another field that is causing me confusion is telephoneNumber, primarily
because there are multiple public fields for phone numbers.

So there's:
telephoneNumber
uvmEduOfficePhone
uvmEduPeopleSoftPhone (non-public)
uvmSIPermanentPhone (non-public)
homePhone (non-public)

I added a phone number for my office phone into PeopleSoft this morning
and it hasn't been immediately reflected in the directory. In the
meantime, it had been input through uvmEduOfficePhone. Basically, I'm
just wondering how telephoneNumber field is populated.

Other questions would be (at least from what is **public** info):
1. Is mail the de facto field for contact via email?
2. Is labeledURI the only correct field for a person's webpage?
3. Is postalAddress supposed to be the office address of a person for
faculty/staff? I'm aware that this is not necessarily a UVM address for
everyone (e.g. people working remotely).
4. For outputting names, should displayName be used? My intuition says
to use displayName if it's available, and fall back to cn if not. What
would worry me is that someone could set displayName to Sasquatch, which
would be both amusing and dreadful.