On 9/16/2010 10:18 AM, Kelvin Chu wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Hello, all;
My laptop is owned by the University and I use it only for University business but because it isn't a desktop machine, I have XP installed via parallels.  I'm unable to keep the Windows7 install running because it appears to phone home every once in a while and realize that it doesn't have a 132.198 IP address (my guess).  
Is there a middle ground solution besides buying the work-at-home media, such as a UVM copy that I don't have to pay for but that I can use on machines that are off campus?  I don't really feel like paying Microsoft but I also don't want to get into trouble.


Institutionally owned systems that have a volume license edition of Windows Vista or Windows 7 installed should activate automatically, owing to the presence of our KMS (Key Management Server) on campus.

For off-campus systems, what you need is a MAK (Multiple Activation Key) to activate the product.  As long as your system is institutionally owned, you are entitled to use our MAK  for systems that will not be traveling onto campus with any particular frequency.

As an FYI for others monitoring this discussion, personally owned systems are not entitled to use Volume License editions of Windows.  However, you are entitled to one copy of Windows 7 though the work-at-home program, as long as you will be doing a fair amount of institutional work on your personal system.  You can buy work-at-home media though the Computer Depot in the Davis Center.  Prices are quite low, especially when compared to the cost of a full academic license for Win7.
J. Greg Mackinnon | ETS Systems Architecture and Administration | x68251