You ask us for the MAK key, which will arrive in your personal inbox, rather than on the public list.  We have to be a bit careful with MAK keys... if they end up on a Warez site, we could find ourselves our of activations quickly. 

Keep in mind that if you know your Windows instance will be running on campus more frequently than once every six months, you don't need a MAK.  When on campus, you Windows OS should discover our KMS and activate your copy of Windows for six months.  Windows will renew this activation in the background whenever you are on campus, thus renewing the activation on-the-fly.

MAK activations are perpetual... once activated with a MAK, you should be all set from a licensing perspective for the life of your OS install.


On 9/16/2010 11:31 AM, Kelvin Chu wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Hi Greg;

Thanks for your mail.  How do I get a MAK for my institutionally-owned laptop that is often off campus?  



On 16 Sep 2010, at 11:11 AM, J. Greg Mackinnon wrote:

On 9/16/2010 10:18 AM, Kelvin Chu wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Hello, all;
My laptop is owned by the University and I use it only for University business but because it isn't a desktop machine, I have XP installed via parallels.  I'm unable to keep the Windows7 install running because it appears to phone home every once in a while and realize that it doesn't have a 132.198 IP address (my guess).  
Is there a middle ground solution besides buying the work-at-home media, such as a UVM copy that I don't have to pay for but that I can use on machines that are off campus?  I don't really feel like paying Microsoft but I also don't want to get into trouble.


Institutionally owned systems that have a volume license edition of Windows Vista or Windows 7 installed should activate automatically, owing to the presence of our KMS (Key Management Server) on campus.

For off-campus systems, what you need is a MAK (Multiple Activation Key) to activate the product.  As long as your system is institutionally owned, you are entitled to use our MAK  for systems that will not be traveling onto campus with any particular frequency.

As an FYI for others monitoring this discussion, personally owned systems are not entitled to use Volume License editions of Windows.  However, you are entitled to one copy of Windows 7 though the work-at-home program, as long as you will be doing a fair amount of institutional work on your personal system.  You can buy work-at-home media though the Computer Depot in the Davis Center.  Prices are quite low, especially when compared to the cost of a full academic license for Win7.
J. Greg Mackinnon | ETS Systems Architecture and Administration | x68251