  You are quite correct, Andrew.  However, if a system is not planned to
be on campus with any frequency, we are happy to provide a MAK key.  CA
users are perfectly entitled to use the MAK.

My only wish would be for MS to provide a more convenient method for
distributing MAK keys to authorized, such as though the use of an
authenticated web service.  Without such an interface, we are forced to
fall back to manual distribution, with all the associated key-disclosure
risks (the main risk being that we would run out of MAK activations and
have to beg MS for more).

/J. Greg Mackinnon/ | Systems Administrator
ETS Systems Architecture and Administration | University of Vermont
*Phone:* 802-656-8251 | *Web:* http://www.uvm.edu/~jgm