The problematic database version was 5418... I have been able to verify that this was the database version that was in use on at least one locked-up system.  (You can verify this to be the problem by disconnecting ethernet cables and switching off wireless on a locked up system prior to forcing a restart.  Check the signature database version before reconnecting to the network.)
--
J. Greg Mackinnon | ETS Systems Architecture and Administration | x68251