Hi Greg,

Thanks for all the hints - unfortunately, I'm still not seeing
success:

On 9/28/2010 8:54 AM, J. Greg Mackinnon wrote:
>   Rama:
>
> Is it the installer that is generating the error, or is the
> product getting installed and then not starting up?

It's installing okay, it's when I try to connect that I run into
trouble.

> I found a reference to a "The VPN client /driver /has
> encountered an error" on this page:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_tech_note09186a00809b4754.shtml

Yes, that is the error I'm seeing.

> There are some recommendations here. The first being that you
> should disable the "Routing and Remote Access" service before
> installing AnyConnect. There are further remediations
> recommended if that does not work.

Routing and Remote Access was already disabled and I tried all
the things they suggested (repairing the database, deleting it).

> It also is recommended to analyze the setup logs for more
> detailed error information. I have pasted in the log file
> locations below...
>
> /J. Greg Mackinnon/ | Systems Administrator
> ETS Systems Architecture and Administration | University of Vermont
> *Phone:* 802-656-8251 | *Web:* http://www.uvm.edu/~jgm

> Complete these steps:
>
>    1.
>
>       Obtain the device log file:
>
>           *
>
>             Windows XP / Windows 2000:
>
>                 *\Windows\setupapi.log*
>
>           *
>
>             Windows Vista:
>
>             *Note: *Hidden folders must be made visible in order
>             to see these files.
>
>                 *\Windows\Inf\setupapi.app.log
>                      \Windows\Inf\setupapi.dev.log*

No errors.

>       If you see errors in the setupapi log file, you can turn
>       up verbosity to 0x2000FFFF as described in this Windows KB
>       article
>       <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906485/>leavingcisco.com.
>       Note the article says to set it to 0xFFFF, but if you add
>       the high order value of 0x2, it makes the logging faster.
>
>    2.
>
>       Obtain the MSI installer log file:
>
>       If this is an initial web deploy install, this log is
>       located in the per-user temp directory.
>
>           *
>
>             Windows XP / Windows 2000:
>
>                 *\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\*
>
>           *
>
>             Windows Vista:
>
>                 *\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\*
>
>       If this is an automatic upgrade, this log is in the temp
>       directory of the system:
>
>           *\Windows\Temp*
>
>       The filename is in this format:
>       anyconnect-win-x.x.xxxx-k9-install-yyyyyyyyyyyyyy.log.
>       Obtain the most recent file for the version of the client
>       you want to install. The x.xxxx changes based on the
>       version, such as 2.0.0343, and yyyyyyyyyyyyyy is the date
>       and time of the install.

No errors.

> On 9/28/2010 7:12 AM, Andrew Hendrickson wrote:
>> Have you tried the 2.5.1025 standalone application found athttp://www.uvm.edu/software
>>

>> On Sep 27, 2010, at 9:34 PM, Rama Kocherlakota wrote:
>>
>>> No, I thought it might be something like that at first when I had trouble this weekend, but I tried again today with the same problem.

>>> ---
>>> Rama Kocherlakota

:-(

Rama