I also looked at the Event Log listings both for the successful
and the unsuccessful attempts to connect to sslvpn.uvm.edu (from
two different hosts).  The unsuccessful attempt definitely had
more errors.

The first error that seemed significant was a failed call to
CWindowsVirtualAdapter::GetConnName which returned an error
described in Event Viewer as "Unable to obtain an interface name
after 20 tries" which definitely didn't happen on the successful
computer.  I tried googling various things like
CWindowsVirtualAdapter::GetConnName and "Unable to obtain an
interface name after 20 tries" but nothing interesting showed up.

At this point I started to wonder, for want of any better ideas,
if I had a virus on this machine, so I went to install NOD32
from the software archive, but was unsuccessful doing that too -
I will send another note about that.

Thanks for any insights anyone has,

Rama