Hi Jacob-

I'm assuming that you're accessing LDAP through an anonymous bind.  You may already be aware of this, but when doing so you are limited to a maximum of 100 returned records per query.  This has been a deal breaker for some of my projects in the past.

On Sep 13, 2010, at 9:18 AM, Jacob Beauregard wrote:

> There are a few people fields in LDAP that I'd like to know more about. One would be ou/Department. When I was running a search on the list archives I saw someone say that this was directly from PeopleSoft. Can anyone give me any information that would help me follow up on that? It's nice to know where it comes from, but I would like to be able to derive human-readable versions if possible.
>
> Another field that is causing me confusion is telephoneNumber, primarily because there are multiple public fields for phone numbers.
>
> So there's:
> telephoneNumber
> uvmEduOfficePhone
> uvmEduPeopleSoftPhone (non-public)
> uvmSIPermanentPhone (non-public)
> homePhone (non-public)
>
> I added a phone number for my office phone into PeopleSoft this morning and it hasn't been immediately reflected in the directory. In the meantime, it had been input through uvmEduOfficePhone. Basically, I'm just wondering how telephoneNumber field is populated.
>
> Other questions would be (at least from what is **public** info):
> 1. Is mail the de facto field for contact via email?
> 2. Is labeledURI the only correct field for a person's webpage?
> 3. Is postalAddress supposed to be the office address of a person for faculty/staff? I'm aware that this is not necessarily a UVM address for everyone (e.g. people working remotely).
> 4. For outputting names, should displayName be used? My intuition says to use displayName if it's available, and fall back to cn if not. What would worry me is that someone could set displayName to Sasquatch, which would be both amusing and dreadful.

Andrew Hendrickson
CAS, IT Administrator
UVM, College of Arts & Sciences
438 College Street #402