Sometimes http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ is a handy tool for checking whether a web site is up.  In this case, it will only check http://survey.uvm.edu/, and that's enough at least to confirm that the server is up.  Of course, it also relies on a good route from downforeveryoneorjustme.com to the server, but whether a server is reachable from off campus can be useful information, as well.

-Dean W.