Make it private, but remind people that the change is not a panacea for
security.   As an owner of multiple lists, I think moderators would be
cumbersome and create lag time.

Cheers,
Chip
_________________
WILL "CHIP" SAWYER
Program Manager
Center for Rural Studies
www.uvm.edu/crs
206 Morrill Hall
University of Vermont
Burlington, VT 05405
Phone: 802.656.0892
Email: [log in to unmask]

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:38:58 -0400, Ralph Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> >If we did make the archives private, they'd still be searchable by logging
in at list.uvm.edu.

>My perhaps not so humble opinion is that making the archives private would
lend a false sense of security to those posting to the list. I'm not sure what
sensitive information you're trying to protect, but my personal experience is
that once you hit "send", the information is public whether you expect it to be
or not, because who know where it will be filed or forwarded by recipients.

>I think the choice is between no archives or a moderator educated in what's
inappropriate for a public setting for the list. Anything more subtle is likely to
create confusion.