Rama,

You’ll want to be a little careful, if this is not a UVM-owned system, because Windows requires activation and you only get a few before you have to call Microsoft. Does your netbook have a boot option to restore to factory condition? My Samsung netbook didn’t come with have media, but does have a system restore hidden partition. Restoring this way is likely not to make activation go awry. YMMV.

Just to clarify, the Windows Deployment Services installers and the DVD image available at \\files.uvm.edu\mca\Windows are licensed to UVM for installation on UVM-owned computers. Further, the license is for upgrades, which means that the system must already have a valid Windows OS client license. Upgrading a UVM-owned WinXP netbook to Win7 should be fine: upgrading a Linux-based netbook would not.

Another installation option is to use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool, which helps you create a USB-based install media from a Windows 7 installation DVD or .ISO. This tool could work with the UVM Campus Agreement media (for UVM-owned systems), or a copy of Windows 7 you purchase for personal use.

I hope that’s useful,

--Geoff

Geoffrey Duke
802.656.1172 |
Sr System Administrator | Enterprise Technology Services | University of Vermont