Thanks, MB, for circulating Marc Cooper's opinion piece on the
proposed Cuban transition.  The title "Crash Landing" sounds
appropriate for world capitalism, which on a slightly longer
time scale is riding for a fall.  (I am working on an article
to be entitled "Splashing Down Safely": must try to maintain
some optimism.)  As Cooper says, the Cuban system has sort of
flopped already, with its fission into a "domestic" and a
dollar economy.  I don't know what advice to give the Cubans,
aside from the earnest plea to try democratic decision-making
(with the concomitant welcoming of dissent).  That plea has
already been heard by the Cubans, to the extent that they read
my posts to this list.  On the other hand, I have advice to
give the rest of the world: pay attention to the things Cuba
has done right and try to adapt them to our future system
whatever it may be called.  Monthly Review and Stuart Newman
and many others are able to think about this difficult task,
but I wish I could hope Michael Balter & Marc Cooper could
work on it too.
 			Chandler