I've made a public comment as this suggests, but I wonder if it is true, as stated below, that Credo action is a movement and not just a network. We've had a few discussions here before (I think) about the pluses and minuses of internet activism, a discussion that needs to continue. The Obama administration doesn't appear to be feeling much pressure from the left at the moment.

MB

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Phil Gasper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Becky Bond, CREDO Action <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 8:09 AM
Subject: Tell the Obama administration: No new restrictions on abortion coverage
To: Philip Gasper <[log in to unmask]>

CREDO Action | more than a network. a movement.

Tell the Obama administration: No new restrictions on abortion coverage

Speak out before the Tuesday deadline
Take action!

The Obama administration has gone beyond what the new health care law requires by proposing rules that would prevent women with serious health conditions from having access to insurance that covers abortions. There is no excuse for that. Speak out before it's too late.

Take action now!

Dear Philip,

When we have a pro-choice President in office, we both need and expect him and his administration to be forceful in defending a woman's right to choose.

The Obama administration has gone beyond what the new health care law requires to prevent women with serious health conditions from having access to insurance that covers abortions.

The Department of Health and Human Services has proposed rules that would prohibit the newly created high-risk insurance pools from offering insurance policies that cover abortion in any circumstance other than rape, incest or the life of the mother.

There is absolutely no excuse for this.

We have until Tuesday to submit public comments and demand the Obama administration stand up for choice.

Click here to submit a public comment.

While the recently passed health care law does have provisions prohibiting insurance companies from denying coverage based on a pre-existing condition, those rules don't kick in for a few years.

In the meantime, the high-risk insurance pools are the only option for many people with serious health conditions who cannot obtain insurance otherwise due to a pre-existing condition such as cancer or diabetes.

So women with literally no other venue of obtaining health insurance will be forced into buying policies that will not cover abortions in most circumstances.

Even if women in the high-risk pools are willing to pay out of their own pocket the difference between a plan that fully covers abortion and one that doesn't, they won't be given that option.

Abortion is the most common surgical procedure women receive. It is simply unconscionable that anyone purporting to support choice would propose rules that expand on the draconian federal restrictions on women's access to abortion health care.

The chance for the public to respond to the proposed rules ends on Tuesday. Take a minute now to demand the Obama administration stand up for choice.

Click here to submit a public comment.

Thank you for standing up for a woman's right to choose.

Becky Bond, Political Director
CREDO Action from Working Assets

Facebook

Share on Facebook