http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=52665

MINING-CHILE

*Make Good on Concern for Worker Safety, Say Unions*

By Daniela Estrada

SANTIAGO, Aug 30, 2010 (IPS) - While efforts get underway to try to rescue
the 33 miners who are trapped 700 metres underground in a mine in northern
Chile, trade unions are calling on the country's political leaders to tackle
the underlying problems of worker safety.

"We applauded the government when it was focusing on finding our
companions," Néstor Jorquera, president of the CONFEMIN miners union, told
IPS. "We sat tight, because we needed to know what their situation was. But
now we know that thankfully they are alive, it's time to say 'enough!' to so
many abuses."

CONFEMIN represents more than 18,000 miners who work at small, medium-size
and large privately-owned mines in Chile, the world's leading producer of
copper.

On Aug. 5, 32 Chilean miners and one Bolivian were trapped in the San José
copper and gold mine in the northern region of Atacama, after an explosion.
San Esteban, the Chilean company that owns the mine, says it is on the verge
of bankruptcy and that it may not be able to pay the miners their wages
while they remain underground.

After repeatedly drilling in an attempt to reach the emergency shelter where
the men were presumed to be, hammering sounds from below were finally heard
after the eighth attempt, and on the 17th day after the tunnel collapse, a
probe that was sent down brought back notes from the miners saying all 33
had survived.

But the different strategies being followed by the government of rightwing
President Sebastián Piñera could take two to four months to rescue the
miners.

Jorquera said the ratification of International Labour Organisation (ILO)
Convention 176 on safety and health in mines would be the best way for the
country's political leaders to show that the interest expressed these days
in improving labour conditions in mines is real.

The Convention, which has been ratified by just 24 countries -- in Latin
America, only Brazil and Peru have done so -- was adopted in 1995 and went
into effect in 1998. It requires signatory states to legislate on safety in
mines and to enforce regulations of the kind that were flouted in the San
José mine, such as the requirement of two different escape routes.

"If a worker is in a mine where proper safety conditions are not in place,
under the Convention he can automatically report the situation and stop
working, and he would be protected," Jorquera said. "But if you were to do
that now in any mine (in Chile), you would be fired."

However, ratification of the Convention has not been mentioned so far as
part of the package of initiatives announced by Piñera in response to the
mining accident that has riveted the world's attention, and which is under
investigation.

On Aug. 23, the president established a commission on work safety, made up
of eight experts who will study the country's labour safety and health
regulations over the next three months.

Other measures, reported on Aug. 27, are the creation of a new mining
superintendency to oversee mining permits and safety standards, the
restructuring of the National Geology and Mining Service, an increase in
funding for oversight, and the establishment of a nine-member expert
advisory committee to review the country's mine safety regulations.

But the Central Unitaria de Trabajadores (CUT), Chile's largest labour
federation, and the centre-left Coalition of Parties for Democracy, which
governed Chile from 1990 to last March, decried the absence of labour and
social leaders on the committees.

Besides the ratification of Convention 176, Jorquera called for attention to
be focused on what he described as Chile's weak labour laws, which he said
undermine trade unions, weaken strikes and allow a situation in which
subcontracted workers do not enjoy the same benefits as permanent employees.

"What is happening now is the consequence of our weak legislation," he said.
"I don't blame this government. The problem is a long-standing one. There is
no will to really change things," not only for miners, he argued.

"Chiefly responsible for this accident were the lack of conscience on the
part of the business community" and the state's failure to curb the abuses
against workers' rights, the trade unionist said.

In the case of the San José mine, several workers have been killed in the
last few years, and it has been shut down more than once for flagrant safety
violations. Just a few weeks before the tunnel collapse, a miner lost a leg
when he was trapped by fallen rock. However, the company was allowed to
reopen after each incident.

In 2009, a total of 191,685 workplace accidents, including 443 deaths,
occurred in this country of 17 million people. And 155 workers died in
accidents in the first quarter of this year alone.

"Our laws and regulations are relatively stringent and strict, although
there is room for improvement. The real problem lies elsewhere," Carmen
Espinoza, head of the non-governmental Labour Economy Programme (PET), told
IPS.

The critical issue, in her view, "is the lack of a culture of prevention
among businesses, principally, and among workers as well, who for logical
reasons pay greater attention to keeping their jobs than to work safety."

To that is added poor enforcement and oversight, she added.

"In terms of workplace safety, we are far from seeing a return to the active
role that trade unions played in the past," because of a lack of
information, training and strength, Espinoza said.

"We believe that an increase in labour organisation would help strengthen
safety regulations, above and beyond the penalties that companies might
face," CUT national adviser Marco Canales told IPS.

"Because they don't have legal protection or because there is no union, the
members of safety committees within companies often end up being laid off
when they report irregularities," he said. "We believe this government is
not including these issues in its discussions" on the question of workplace
safety, he added.

In 2009, just 12.5 percent of the workforce in Chile was unionised,
according to official statistics, far below the average of the
industrialised countries grouped in the Organisation for Economic
Co-operation and Development (OECD), which Chile joined this year.