I'm happy to be providing therapeutic outlets for whatever ails Larry.
Now why not give it a rest because it won't change anything.

MB

On Saturday, September 4, 2010, Larry Romsted
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Non Science Related Post Number 2.
>
> Included in Number 2 is the decade old piece by Marc Cooper about Mumia that
> Michael sent to us.
>
> Larry
>
> On 9/4/10 5:18 PM, "Michael Balter" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> I'm glad that Herb found an opportunity to get this out of his system,
>> but I simply asked a question and stated my opinion--and I will
>> continue to express my views on this list despite the constant
>> personal attacks.
>>
>> MB
>>
>> On Saturday, September 4, 2010, herb fox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>>

>>>       One of the problems with off-topic contributions is that they
>>>         usually provoke further off-topic responses, to wit, MB has to
>>>         respond to Mitchel's post and i feel compelled to respond to
>>>         Michael's.
>>>
>>>       Since this list is one of generally highly educated and
>>>         critical persons, it would seem that we each can make our own
>>>         judgments about Mitchel's post.  Michael's tendency to rapidly
>>>         jump in to straighten us out is, after a while, not only
>>>         tiresome but insulting.  I assume that all the contributors to
>>>         this list approach everything with some level of skepticism
>>>         and.when they deem the issue important, are willing to
>>>         investigate the authority of the relevant posts
>>>       Michael as a journalist has the authority to address certain
>>>         questions.  For example, to make a judgment on whether the film
>>>         will be even handed he could examine the filmakers' past
>>>         productions.  See e.g.
>>> http://www.pmpress.org/content/article.php?story=bignoise
>>>
>>>       As a committed opponent of the death penalty for the guilty as
>>>         well as the innocent, i have never imagined Mumia as our icon;
>>>         and very few of those who share my opposition have ever
>>>         mentioned his name.  Yet this is the red herring that Cooper
>>>         brings in and Michael considers relevant
>>>
>>>        The issue raised by Mitchel's post is very simple.  Do you
>>>         want to support an effort by film makers to illuminate the Mumia
>>>         case with a documentary as opposed to a fictionalized account.
>>>         A skeptic might want to determine the objectivity of the film
>>>         makers as demonstrated by past productions.  That's it Michael.
>>>         The rest is provocative, unnecessary, and tiresome.  It is also
>>>         in the category of "poisoning the well."
>>>
>>>     herb
>>>

>>>     On 9/4/2010 6:03 AM, Michael Balter wrote:
>>>     This is off-topic, although I am not going to object
>>>       to that nor to count Mitchel's off-topic posts. Too late for that!
>>>

>>>       I am opposed to the death penalty, in Mumia's case and all
>>>         others. But I wonder if Mitchel or someone else could provide a
>>>         link that would provide the "mountains of
>>>           evidence of Mumia's innocence"? There are certainly legitimate
>>>           questions about whether he got a fair trial, and the
>>>           possibility that he might be found not guilty on the basis of
>>>           insufficient evidence if he were retried, but actual evidence
>>>           of his innocence? Perhaps this "mountain of evidence" of his
> [...]

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science
Adjunct Professor of Journalism,
New York University

Email:  [log in to unmask]
Web:    michaelbalter.com
NYU:    journalism.nyu.edu/faculty/balter.html

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
the poor have no food, they call me a Communist." -- Hélder Pessoa
Câmara