As I learned and posted 6 months ago, the Soviet Union used macrophages (not sure how those differ from regular phages) extensively in place of antibiotics. I questioned at the time whether these might not be useful against the new breeds of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Mitchel

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Balter <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sep 6, 2010 7:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Phage Therapy

Phages, of course, are not imaginary, but have been visualized many times in the electron microscope:

http://www.biochem.wisc.edu/faculty/inman/empics/virus.htm

Jim West doesn't think that HIV has ever been "isolated" either, following the absurd claims of the so-called Perth group, but science says otherwise.

We had a discussion of phage therapy a year or two ago, as some may recall, when Mitchel posted something about it. It seems that they might have some limited therapeutic use but the jury is out on how much.

MB