The situation was:

At the beach Wednesday, a newsphotographer for a tiny local paper goes
around, taking a bunch of people shots, which are then offered for sale on
the paperıs website (prints only). I contacted the photographer directly,
asking could I buy any of her out takes, since I know she took more than the
three of me which were posted on the site. No, she could only sell what the
was up there, and there was no way to buy digital files, from the site or
from her. I bought two of the three prints; the third picture was not even
on a wave.

Under the circumstances, I do not feel wracked with guilt for converting the
two prints to digital. I certainly canıt imagine her selling me any
additional prints if somehow I werenıt able to scan. In fact, I canıt even
see me buying the second print except for the fact that I could scan it.
Nor, sadly, can I imagine many kayak surf aesthetes besides myself who would
want one of these prints for their very own.

I went with the glossy. The list will undoubtedly have the opportunity to
judge the results.

Thanks,

--an