 Hi Helen,

I believe I have recreated this problem on my MBP.

Please consider this a "your miles may vary" sort of solution.  It has
worked for me, and I'd like to know if it works for you.  Of course, I
suggest that you make sure your backups are up to date before you
install or start altering settings in PGP Desktop, since the possibility
exists that you could lock yourself out of your own system.

It appears that the old password (or phrase) is cached somewhere in
PGP's settings, or perhaps in the login keychain (although I haven't
seen where.)  This passphrase is used to protect new key pairs in PGP
Desktop - something PGP Desktop for Mac seems to create frequently, even
though it appears to have little or nothing to do with Whole Disk
Encryption, the function for which we purchased this product.

If you haven't used the keys in PGP Desktop to encrypt anything, then
you should be able to delete them without any ill effects.  Those keys
are not used for Whole Disk Encryption, but to encrypt files or email.

After deleting them, reboot your system and log in.  You will once again
be prompted to unlock newly generated keys, using your old password
(grumble, didn't I just *delete* those for a reason?!)

Now, open PGP Desktop. Under Keys, there should be only one key
associated with your name that is not revoked.  Context-click
(option-click, as you may prefer) that key, and select "Show Key Info ..."

Once in the key info window, select the "Change Passphrase" icon.

Enter your old passphrase and change it to the new passphrase.

At this point, you should be able to close the "Key Info" window, and
confirm that the key has changed its passphrase by context-clicking the
key, selecting "Lock", then "Unlock".  It should unlock with the
passphrase that you have set.

Context-click the key and select "Synchronize Key".

Close PGP desktop, reboot, and upon login you should be asked for your
new password to unlock the key(s), and not the old passwords.

Please give this a try and let me know if it works for you.

I suspect (but haven't confirmed) that it's not actually necessary for
these keys's passphrases to match your NetID password, or indeed the
passphrase that's used to unlock your system's disk.  Next, I'm going to
try changing the key pair's passwords to something unrelated to my
NetID, and storing that passphrase in my keychain, so that the system
(hopefully) won't bug me about it in the future.

Jim