A Message from Rich McCoy, Public Health Statistics Chief, VDH
Please clairify that ALL marriages that occurred after 9-1-09 can go in regular marriage book and no need to keep seperate volumn now, regardless if the union is between a man and a woman, a woman and a woman, and a man and a man.
Lisa Roque
Assistant Town Clerk
St. Albans Town
[log in to unmask]
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Cummings, Patrick
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010 09:21
Subject: A Message from Rich McCoy, Public Health Statistics Chief, VDH

October 30, 2010

Town Clerks:

It has been just over a year since the Marriage Equality Act took effect on September 1, 2009.  This Act ended the issuance of civil unions and marriages as separate documents, and implemented civil marriage licenses and certificates.

I wanted to take this opportunity to remind all town clerks that pursuant to 18 V.S.A. 5008, all civil marriage certificates must be filed for record in one volume or series, and civil union certificates in another volume. 

Also, please make sure that your office has not filed any of the civil marriage certificates with the civil union certificates.  If any civil marriage certificates were filed in the civil unionsí volume, you need to remove them and file correctly with all other civil marriage certificates.  The only exception is that any town that has 500 inhabitants or less the statute does allow that all certificates may be filed in one volume provided that none of such volumes contain more than 250 certificates and permits.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Linda Merchant in the Vital Recordsí Office at 802-863-7278.

As always, thank you for your assistance in maintaining these documents and making them available to the public.


Richard H. McCoy
Public Health Statistics Chief
Vermont Department of Health