So in other words "Low" might mean
-low chance of triggering avalanche, and low consequences from triggering one
or
-low chance of triggering avalanche, and high consequences from triggering one

If this is true it seems like the new scale isn't any more helpful than before.   If I didn't know better, I would see this as some sort of marketing gimmick.

 I'll stick with Renson's thinking about the necessity of reading the associated commentary