Happy Election Day UVM Students,
Happy Election Day UVM students. I hope everyone had an enjoyable Halloween weekend. We are now in the first week of November with only a few weeks left until spring class registration and fall break. Over the weekend, the University of Vermont Board of Trustees convened and discussed issues such as the TRI, the Mason/Simpson/Hamilton Residential Complex Renovation and USSP Sino Pathways Program. The committee as a whole met and heard different reports from the President Fogel as well as different reports from the governance groups such as SGA and the Graduate Student Senate. To review the meeting materials from this past BOT meeting, please visit the link below. Have a great week and don't forget to show your school spirit tomorrow by wearing school colors, Green and Gold or yellow. The university was founded on November 3 1971 and the Boulder Society is hosting a Founder's day event from 11-2pm by the Catamount. They will be giving out FREE mugs, coffee, hot cocoa, and apple crisp to the first 300 hundred students. Hope to see you there.
Peace, Love & Soul,
Student Government Association President
(P.S Ciao is Hello in Italian, suggestion made by fellow UVM student Michael Mollo,Class of 2014)
Special Attn: Interested in being the next Student Trustee?
As Chair of the 2010-2011 Board of Trustees Student Trustee Selection Committee, I would like to offer you the opportunity to apply for the prestigious and powerful position of Student Trustee. For those of you that may be unfamiliar with this role, it is a two-year commitment for a continuously enrolled, full-time student from the undergraduate, graduate, or medical student population. The student to accept the position must be able to fulfill their two-year term beginning March 1, 2011 and lasting until February 28, 2013. The general qualifications for the Student Trustee are dedication to the student body and the University, strong interpersonal skills, understanding the responsibility and importance of the role, and maintaining honesty and integrity. There are three mandatory information sessions to guide you in understand the role of the Student Trustee. If you are unable to be physically present, you can check out a video of any missed session from the SGA office in the Davis Center. Here are the details:
Information Session I: Introduction to the Process
Wednesday, November 3 at 6:30 pm
Lafayette L300, Lafayette Building
Information Session II: Senior Administration
Thursday, November 11 at 6:30 pm
Livak Ballroom, Davis Student Center
Information Session III: Current Trustees
Wednesday, November 17 at 6:30 pm
John Dewy Lounge, Lafayette Building
The application, due January 15, 2011, is available in the Student Government Association office (311 Davis Student Center), and will also be handed out at the first information session. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, 208-720-1168 or [log in to unmask]
Chair of Trustee Selection Committee
Note: Paid internship offering. My name is John Black, I am a sophomore at UVM and am offering an opportunity to ambitious students looking to get hands on experience running their own business. During the summer months you will experience Management, Sales, and Marketing with large profits as an Entrepreneur in your hometown. As a District Manager for Collegiate Entrepreneurs I am searching for passionate and hardworking students to be a part of my business this coming summer. For further information please view, http://www.collegiateentrepreneurs.com/ or email me at [log in to unmask].
I look forward to hearing from you.
SGA Committee Corner:
Committee on Diversity, Equity and Environmental Ethics: Chaired by Greg Herman ([log in to unmask]
- Working on how to better the composting and recycling on campus.
- Making headway on ALANA student retention, shifting throw data on graduation/retention rates
- Making initiatives to address class at UVM and see how socioeconomic status affects students access to many resources
Public Relations: Chaired by Nick Monteforte ([log in to unmask])
- Still working on Vermont Student Opinion Poll, will hopefully be released later this week
- Pushing through new initiatives for the SGA Office space.
Student Activities: Chaired by Amanda Adams ([log in to unmask])
- Recognition of new clubs like Demoyns, Badminton, and Zest
- Developing a points system for clubs
- Looking into Sports Medicine Services
Finance: Chaired by Alex Mallea ([log in to unmask])
- Allocations through the supplemental funding process
- One on one meetings with clubs that have contacted the finance committee for help
- Checking on the status of the Finance/ SAC Club Liaison program
- Still working on looking into make an operational document regarding executive compensation
Academic Affairs: Chaired by Gisele Nelson ([log in to unmask])
- Attended Educational Policy and Institutional Resources (EPIR) Committee meeting during BOT this weekend
- Follow up on Priority Registration and Enhanced Course Information
- Preparing vision for Course Enhancement in hopes of presenting to Faculty Senate and Faculty Union before contract negotiation begins in January.
Student Action: Chaired by Jesse Simmons ([log in to unmask])
- Interested in organizing a Water Bottle Boycott with Student Action?
- Have ideas about how this year’s Naked Bike Ride should be administered?: Send you thoughts to Chair of Student Action.
Committee on Legislative Action: Chaired by Lucas Morgan ([log in to unmask])
- Organizing the SGA Veteran's Day Celebration on Thursday November, 11 2010 in Billings North Lounge from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. The celebration will consist of Veterans from the UVM community and Burlington community speaking about their experiences. All are welcome to attend.
- Working on PSA's focusing on student's behavior off-campus, and how we can be more respectful when going downtown.
- Still promoting the Student Neighborhood Initiative Grant, which can be found here: https://thelynx.collegiatelink.net/
SGA Matters: 11/2 SGA Meeting
Bill Recognizing APO as Club of the Month
Bill Allocating Funds to WRUV
Next SGA Meeting Tuesday, November 9th at 7:00PM in the Livak Ballroom.
Events from the SGA President’s Email this Week:
- Senior Portraits! November 3-5 and November 8-10 in the Jost Foundation Room (Davis Center 422). Seniors may sign up for a sitting online at www.photoappointment.com the school password is UVM. It is free to sit for portraits, there is no obligation to buy portraits but it is the time to take your casual and cap and gown portraits. It is also the only way to be in the Folklore Senior Yearbook!
- The UVM Club Football team defeated their rival from the University of Maine, 24-7 on Saturday evening to capture the NCFA North Athlantic Conference Championship. The team also captured possession of the Whitman-Deluca Rivalry Jug. As a result of the victory, the UVM Football squad will be hosting a home playoff game against UMaine on Saturday, November 6th at Burlington High School. The time is yet to be determined, however, there will be a shuttle bus leaving from campus to the high school for all students that are interested in attending. Please refer to www.uvmfootball.com for additional information.
taskforce presents: a viewing of Breaking Barriers: Fighting Stigma, a film
about Vermont residents’ struggle against AIDS. November 9th, 8-9pm
in the Silver Maple Ballroom, 4th Floor Davis Center.
- Off-Campus Living Workshops: Come learn what all students need to know before moving off campus. All attendees receive a UVM Preferred Renter Card and a packet of essential rental resources! Free pizza also provided. Workshop Dates: Thurs. 11/4, Wed. 11/10, Wed. 11/17, and Thurs. 12/2 all 5:30-8:30PM in the Grand Maple Ballroom, Davis Center, 4th floor. Register online: http://www.uvm.edu/livingoffcampus For more info & to request accommodations: [log in to unmask] or call 656-9405.
- The Water Tower is hosting, Water Pong. Come one come all!, prove your mastery! Compete against your fellow students for glorious prizes! Rock out to dope beats from a live DJ! and most importantly battle for the title of BEST BEER PONG TEAM IN BURLINGTON! November 18th, 7-9pm in the Grand Maple Ballroom.