My understanding is that both in Massachusetts & Vermont (and many other
states), they *cannot* ask you for ID when you go to vote.  They just ask
for your name and your address.

So, though you may think it is one of the nice advantages of living in a
small town, realize that it is an advantage of living in a country where
every citizen has the right to vote (with some exceptions, i.e. convicted
felons in some states).  Though more states now can request and some require
identification, it is controversial and creates a real burden on some
portions of the population, who regardless of their situation, have that
same right.

--Matt K.