My understanding is that both in Massachusetts & Vermont (and many other states), they *cannot* ask you for ID when you go to vote.  They just ask for your name and your address.

So, though you may think it is one of the nice advantages of living in a small town, realize that it is an advantage of living in a country where every citizen has the right to vote (with some exceptions, i.e. convicted felons in some states).  Though more states now can request and some require identification, it is controversial and creates a real burden on some portions of the population, who regardless of their situation, have that same right.

--Matt K.