Bummer.  First fatality of the year in North America, I believe.

Mark P. Renson

Wolf Creek ski patrol director killed in avalanche
By Jason Blevins and Howard Pankratz
The Denver Post

Updated: 11/22/2010 02:27:44 PM MST

The director of the Wolf Creek Ski Patrol was killed this morning when he was
caught in an avalanche, according to a sttatement from the Wolf Creek Ski Area.
The release said the man, who was not identified, was killed about 7:45 a.m.
"while working to protect others.
"To our great sadness, he did not survive."
"Wolf Creek's management and all its employees wish to express our deepest
regrets at tis loss of a wonderful man and close friend," said the statement.
"Our sympathy and condolences go out to his wife and two children."
Wolf Creek will remain closed today but will reopen Tuesday.
Early reports indicated the man died in an in-bounds avalanche.
Mineral County Sheriff Fred Hosselkus said he received a call for assistance
from the ski area around 10:30 a.m. Hosselkus said he didn't have any details
other than there was an avalanche with a fatality.
Shortly after 11 a.m., the ski area posted this note on its online snow report:
"Wolf Creek Ski Area will closed today, November 22nd, due to the fatality of a
staff member."
Howard Pankratz: 303-954-1939 or [log in to unmask]