I agree

Dec 15, 2010 03:18:21 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

I would also like to see a pathway to advanced practice for RVT’s to be able to openly interpret studies, be credentialed to do so.  The Technical Director, or senior Technologists, in many practices review and adjust interpretations of vascular lab exams before final interpretation and signature by the physicians.   I don’t think taking physician overview out of the equation is appropriate, but a PA level of practice is something to consider.

Patricia A. (Tish) Poe, BA RVT FSVU

Director Noninvasive Vascular Laboratory Services

UC Health

Vascular Division

Office (513) 558-4081

Cell   (513) 460-9474

From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bill Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Can PA's read vascular studies

Bill Johnson, Port Townsend, WA.

Afraid the road to Hades is paved with good intentions.  10-15 years???  Road well taken.  Maybe too well...

I would say, if Ann Marie would not sign off on studies, even my studies, (no Ann Marie, I would never ask you too, and fortunately I do not do studies at present, so you are off that hook,) I would think whistleblower issues are the least of the matter presented.  I will say I have known some people that have made significant amounts of dollars blowing whistles, but I do not think this is about the money.

I would love to see the ARDMS PVI exam opened to PhDs, PAs, NPs, or any significant others that show an interest in vascular technology and can demonstrate some significant experience in our field.  Maybe even us??? I do think we all know many MDs and DOs that are not particularly qualified to read our studies, but can by the nature of their credentials as MD or DO, which have little to do with what we do.  I also think many of the MDs/DOs we work for rely on us to make their interpretations.

I do not think that is wrong, as long as they can rely on us.  Their judgment is the issue.  Their credentials are the basis for that judgment.   Just as ours is the basis for accreditation and reimbursement, and often for that diagnosis.  The “title” of Technical Director does not and never should convey that level of judgment, at least not as long as I am alive.  I admit (sue me?) I have often gone beyond my "scope of practice".  I have never done it for material gain, nor gained much doing it except for patient care.  Caring for the patient must always be first and formost.

I think, if you read Frank’s and Ann Marie’s comments, your question has been more than adequately answered.

Happy Holidays Everyone!