Dear Librarians,

This is a great question for thought and consideration!

I think we have seen many  precursors of this so far. Some institutions with multi-sites employ librarians as rotating between different sites either different hospitals that have merged or an academic medical center which owns several hospitals (used to be separate) and rotates librarians.

There used to be circuit riding librarians especially in Texas.  I don't know if this still exists. Also when you think about the National Networks of Library of Medicine and all the teaching Docline and other services they provide - it is awesome. No longer do we need to recreate the wheel for high quality handouts and library instruction that they provide.

Also  the National Library of Medicine (NLM) provides all of PubMed central and is working to develop archives of professional society journals. PubMed for free public use is awesome and their web tutorials are amazing.  What about Medline Plus and the other web pages and databases provided by NLM? Think of all the outstanding webinars we can now attend electronically such as the 50th anniversary of MeSH.

I know as hospitals merge on a regional basis and as universities have more branch campuses they are all asking for more web based journal access. The challenge is in the cost of these resources and that not every thing is available for free on the Internet.  The problem is in restrictive licensing and high cost journals.  Some regional library organizations are experimenting with multi state interlibrary loan and book sending.

How patrons access us and use our services is changing rapidly. More and more of our students are doing rotations regionally and across the country so we need to have access under many conditions.  Classes taught only with distant education pose unique challenges to library service and new services and access need to be provided to these clients.

Thanks in advance for listening to my thoughts.

Jean

Jean L. Siebert
BS Pharmacy, MLS, MBA, AHIP
Collection Manager/Reference Librarian
Health Sciences Library
Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center
West Virginia University
PO Box 9801
Morgantown, WV 26506-9801
(304) 293-1920 (phone)
(304) 293-5995 (fax)
>>> "Quinten, Becky"  12/03/10 12:06 PM >>>
I was wondering what Medlibbers think about the possibility of libraries in different institutioDeans collaborating and sharing resources including salaries and benefits. Is this in the future?

Becky Quinten, MLS, AHIP
Medical Librarian
Reid Hospital & Health Care Services
1100 Reid Parkway
Richmond, IN 47374
765-983-3000 X2794

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.