I'm no fan of most of the kinds of corporate-driven control we've
heard about lately, however:

1) The net has always been corporate-driven. In the early days, DARPA
can be considered merely a really big corporation; these days we
(users) actually have a bit more control, in that corporations will do
what maximizes profit, and once shown that users will pay for X (or
pay someone else to avoid Y), they can be turned. Not easy and not
quick - but more so, than DARPA.

2) It may be hackneyed, but it's true: The net routes around. This is
both good (dissidents) and bad (spammers).