I brought this up on the list a while ago, and it is still an ongoing
problem. Accessing files on a mapped network drive over the VPN from
home is extremely slow. It takes a very long time even to select files
(so as to copy them to a local folder). Once they are selected, the
files copy quickly, but it takes forever to get them selected, to the
point of Windows Explorer not responding. Opening files directly on the
mapped drive is also incredibly slow and results in whatever application
that is trying to open the file (Mathematica, Excel, Word) Not Responding.

And now, I have an even worse problem. Files that my students submit
(via a secure webpage requiring NetID login) end up in a directory in my
public_html directory on Zoo. Over the weekend, I copied the files to a
local directory so that I could open them and grade them (very sloooow
to select them for copying, as usual). Two files were completely
corrupted (in different ways). I e-mailed the students and asked them to
open up their file to make sure it was OK (these are Mathematica .nb
files, which are actually ASCII) and resubmit it. Both of them said that
their files were fine at their end, and resubmitted. I copied the newly
submitted files to a local directory, and both were corrupted in the
same way as before for each respective student (but different from each
other). One of the students submitted a third time, with the same
result. So this morning, at my office, I opened up all five of these
files from the mapped network drive, no VPN, and lo and behold all five
files are perfectly fine.

Any ideas:

- why the slowness in accessing files over the VPN
- why the five files kept getting corrupted when copied over the VPN
(while another 50 files were perfectly OK)
- how to fix

--
Helen Read
Mathematics & Statistics