On 1/31/11 13:39 , Helen Read wrote:
> On 1/31/2011 12:10 PM, Jim Lawson wrote:
>
> I cannot for example access the Math Department web space over SFTP,
> only via a mapped drive. And SFTP is just a huge pain in the neck
> generally (I lived with it all those years until I finally got
> broadband in my neighborhood a few months ago).

If you send me the URL off-list, I can tell you how to get to it via
SFTP/SCP.

WebDAV is another method you could use, which works from Windows
Explorer, if you prefer that interface.

> Is there no way to make the mapped drives work better over VPN? I
> swear, it didn't used to be like this when I mapped drives on the VPN
> when travelling (when I still had dial-up at home).

So, you think that it has gotten worse recently?

> And it's not entirely limited to the VPN. Many people in my
> department, including me, have had problems for the last several
> months with extreme slowness opening up files from mapped drives on
> campus, without VPN.

When you say "from mapped drives on campus", can you be more specific?
I assumed you were mapping \\zoofiles.uvm.edu\hread, but I really don't
know.  One of my coworkers is looking into a network performance problem
that impacts CIFS, but I assumed it was using a different system/network
than what you were connecting to. Maybe it's not.

>> I have never seen CIFS *corrupt* a file.  Is it possible that the files
>> were only partially transferred to your home computer?
>
> It was files only from these two particular students, and it happened
> again when they resubmitted. All the other files were fine, and there
> wasn't anything unusual that I can see about the ones that got
> corrupted. They were not large, for example.
OK, if you want to send me the particulars about the files (their names
and locations) off-list, I can examine them on the server to see if that
sheds any light.

Jim