There are so many errors and misstatements in this article by AHRP that it's
hard to know where to begin. Just a few points:

A decision by the no-fault vaccine court, as I think many or most here know,
does not require scientific evidence that a vaccine has caused a particular
harm. The court is not set up on that basis.

There are several leading hypotheses for causes of autism, mostly centering
on developmental defects. There is no evidence that autism is caused by
brain injury, as this article flatly states.

It is not true that the medical profession, or more importantly medical
researchers, have not investigated the vaccine-autism connection. They are
investigated it thoroughly, and found that such a connection does not exist.

MB (aka Mitchel's shadow; some people spew so much misinformation that they
need shadows.)

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Mitchel Cohen <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

> Alliance for Human Research Protection
> A Catalyst for Debate
> www.ahrp.org
>
> CBS News reports about  "yet another vaccine injury case you probably won't
> hear much about... the tragic death of little Elias Tembenis."
>
> According to court and medical records, Elias was born on Aug. 23, 2000 and
> appeared healthy until Dec. 26 when he received his second dose of
> diphtheria, tetanus, pertusis DTaP vaccine, developed a fever and began
> having seizures, followed by epilepsy and death.
>
> On November 29, 2010, the US Court of Vaccine Compensation ruled in favor
> of
> his parents against unpersuasive arguments by the government.
> http://www.uscfc.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/LORD.TEMBENIS112910.pdf
>
> Elias' case becomes quietly filed away in vaccine court archives with
> nearly
> 1,300 other vaccine brain injuries-none of them apparently being pooled for
> study. An undetermined number of them, like Elias', involving autism
> diagnoses.  But to win a case in the Vaccine court, the condition, autism,
> cannot be cited.
>
> Indeed, in an earlier report, CBS investigative reporter, Sharyl Atkisson,
> who had examined federal vaccine court decisions over the years, reported:
> "Children who end up with autistic symptoms or autism have won vaccine
> injury claims over the years-as long as they highlighted general,
> widely-accepted brain damage; not autism specifically. But when autism or
> autistic symptoms are alleged as the primary brain damage, the cases are
> lost."
>
> The debate over the links between vaccines and autism -which is triggered
> by
> brain damage - is extremely contentious.  The great majority of medical
> opinion contends that vaccines don't cause autism. However, many of the
> same
> experts concede that vaccines can, in rare instances, cause brain damage.
>
> For example, Dr. Brian Strom, of the University of Pennsylvania, who has
> served on Institute of Medicine panels advising the government on vaccine
> safety,  says "the prevailing medical opinion is that vaccines are
> scientifically linked to encephalopathy, but not scientifically linked to
> autism."  http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_162-20016356-10391695.html
>
> If so, why is the medical profession--including and especially, government
> health officials--so resistant to examining the problem and the evidence to
> ascertain what may be the cause of sudden developmental
> regression--emergence of autism-- in previously healthy infants?
>
> Why are doctors who do try to study the problem, regarded as pariahs?
>
> Surely, the charade of turning a blind eye by deliberately obfuscating the
> terminology--i.e., putting the head in the sand as if to protect against
> the
> [...]

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science
Adjunct Professor of Journalism,
New York University

Email:  [log in to unmask]
Web:    michaelbalter.com
NYU:    journalism.nyu.edu/faculty/michael-balter/

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor
have no food, they call me a Communist." -- Hélder Pessoa Câmara