I, too, spent the day birding in the Champlain Valley.  I didn't see any
falcons, mockingbirds, or owls, but I did have a group of Longspurs mingling
with a large flock of Horned Larks on Panton Rd at the farm across from
Stove Pipe City Rd (in Panton... or Vergennes, I'm not sure).  Another group
of Horned Larks was present on Little Chicago Rd in Charlotte.  Other
highlights for the day included:

Hundreds of Goldeneye at Charlotte Town Beach, that formed a tight raft
after an adult Bald Eagle made a pass.  Two Horned Grebes and one male
Red-breasted Merganser were also present.  A lone Canada Goose was the only
bird on the water at the end of Adams Ferry Rd in Panton.  A lone Flicker
was seen on Botswick Farm Rd in Shelburne.  A total of 32 species were seen
throughout the day.

A picture of one of the Longspurs is posted at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27953043@N08/5378984013/

Good birding,
Larry

--