From: Bill Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, February 22, 2011 10:14:08 PM
Subject: Re: popliteal AV fistula

Bill Johnson, Port Townsend, WA
To answer your first question, I have not seen an AV fistula from any EVLA
procedure, although they can result from any invasive procedure.  They occur
near the area of needle insertion, not distal to it, and I doubt the popliteal
is a site of catheter or tumescent needle insertion unless the target was the
small saphenous vein.  But anything is possible.
The lack of turbulence does not rule out a fistula, as the flow depends on the
size of the connection. Although most AV fistulas do result in turbulence, and
more continuous Doppler signals, these findings may depend on the distance from
the connection.
A red, swollen leg could result from infection, another possibility of any
invasive procedure.  This could also result in hyperemic venous and arterial
flow and the swelling could result in pulsatile venous signals due to
compression against the arterial structures.

I would suggest looking carefully around any area of injection with color to
identify possible fistulas,  the presence of interstitial fluid or enlarged
lymph nodes might also be helpful in focusing the physician on the possibility
of infection, which might be the source of your Doppler findings and the
persistent pain and swelling.To unsubscribe or search other topics on UVM
Flownet link to: http://list.uvm.edu/archives/uvmflownet.html