Dear Mr. Haracznak:

Since you address your email directly to me with copies to
"everyone else on Flownet", I will respond in kind. It has
been my persistent hope to open a personal line of
communication with you and the SVU leadership so that we
may discuss constructive steps SVU could take in light of
its having booked its event at a hotel where there's an
ongoing labor dispute. Instead of accepting my invitation
to dialogue, you refused to engage. You now find it
"regretful" that I have sought alternative means to
communicate. I in turn regret not having had the chance to
speak with you personally.

As I understand from your response on Flownet, you think
it's okay to dishonor workers' calls for a boycott of
their hotel because "there has been no disruption to any
meeting being held there, hotel guests continue to arrive
and depart without interruption, food and beverage
deliveries are made without any problem" and etc. In other
words, so long as the meeting isn't disturbed, let them
eat cake.

That may be enough for you and it may be enough for some
of your members. But other SVU members may feel
differently, and should have the right to know that if the
decide to stay at the Hilton Crystal City hotel they will
be
spending their money at a hotel that refuses to deal
fairly with its workers. Some may choose to stay
elsewhere; some may choose not to spend money at the
hotel; some may choose even not to come. Instead of
attacking me, you should afford SVU members the
opportunity to learn about our members' struggles and to
give them the chance to choose whether to support them in
it.

I apologize if I offend some folks' sense of decorum by
posting on this listserve. Our members are fighting to
keep themselves and their families afloat. We fly their
banner without apology.

In Solidarity,
Micah Ehler
Unite HERE!