Chris,

This can be a difficult call to make.  Thrombus tends to be anechoic or echolucent, sometimes mobile, sometimes weblike and whispy. I would typically utilize this description intraoperatively, or shortly after an endarterectomy.  I would avoid using the word everytime you encounter anechoic plaque during a standard carotid US unless you see it flapping around.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris RVT
Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2011 19:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Carotid Thrombus vs Carotid Plaque

Hi everyone.   I have a question regarding correctly identifying carotid thrombus
vs carotid plaque.   I am used to the usual varying types of plaque in the the
carotid system such as heterogeneous, homogeneous, calcific...etc..   But, I
occasionally hear techs saying that they found a thrombus in the ICA.    How do I
know if or when I find a thrombus?   What is the difference between thrombus
and the usual carotid plaque that I am used to seeing?

Thanks