I read it had to be in the first year as a member... ??

________________________________
From: Bill Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, February 15, 2011 2:41:56 PM
Subject: Re: AAA screening

Bill Johnson, Port Townsend, WA

This might be of help.
http://www.pacificvascular.com/extra/medicareAAAscreeningben5-07.pdf
Disclosure: I wrote this with input from others, and I presently work for
Pacific Vascular.  Regardless, I think it will answer your questions, especially
since this issue is not directly addressed in many places.

The main issue is timing.  It must be ordered when the patient gets their first
Medicare visit.  I do not think that previous scans for AAA matter, but timing
is everything.  I would suggest you make sure your referring base understands
this.  I would also say this is one of the few "screening" exams Medicare
approves and pays for, so I think the need is obvious, and it is well
documented.  It is after all about saving lives.  Just be carefull about those
men who only smoked 97 cigarettes...  :-(  Give me a break!

Best regards, Bill