I read it had to be in the first year as a member... ??

From: Bill Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, February 15, 2011 2:41:56 PM
Subject: Re: AAA screening

Bill Johnson, Port Townsend, WA

This might be of help.  http://www.pacificvascular.com/extra/medicareAAAscreeningben5-07.pdf  Disclosure: I wrote this with input from others, and I presently work for Pacific Vascular.  Regardless, I think it will answer your questions, especially since this issue is not directly addressed in many places.

The main issue is timing.  It must be ordered when the patient gets their first Medicare visit.  I do not think that previous scans for AAA matter, but timing is everything.  I would suggest you make sure your referring base understands this.  I would also say this is one of the few "screening" exams Medicare approves and pays for, so I think the need is obvious, and it is well documented.  It is after all about saving lives.  Just be carefull about those men who only smoked 97 cigarettes...  :-(  Give me a break!

Best regards, Bill