Joel,
I would probably talk to the ordering doc if at all possible.  In this way, you will improve their understanding of the appropriate tests to order over time.

Matt

________________________________
From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joel D
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 07:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Vascular Lab Test Ordering Logistics

We are a newer outpatient echo and vascular lab 9cardiac and vascular office).  Up until this point we have not gotten a lot of outside referrals from physicians we may not be familiar with.  Most of our tests are ordered internally so if there is a problem with the type of test that is ordered, we take up with that physician tell them why the test they ordered is inappropriate, switch it and move on.

Now that we are getting more outside referrals from primary care etc., the question is... What is the best way to make sure the patient gets the appropriate test?  I'm thinking  definitely review the test ordered a day ahead of time.  But then do we just switch it to what our dr. thinks is right or should we page the ordering physician (PCP) in the middle of their day every single time?  We obviously like the referrals and do not want to make any one upset by switching their test, but some of these are just blatantly the incorrect test.  I had one of our techs page the referring yesterday and he was on vacation so she did what was indicated, seeing that what was ordered did not have proper indications.  I know all of you have had these experiences  and I also know I will never eliminate this situation entirely but in your experience what is the best practice to engage in from a day to day standpoint to avoid these as much as possible?  Much appreciated.

Joel Dykstra RVT, RDCS