I did a paper years ago testing patients before and after PTA under Denise Moulton Levy.. on the same day and you can do a google search, there are several papers. It is my favorite test to do... My staff would tell me of early morning cases just to get my in earlier !!!
Decubitus position is the best for all body types. Make sure your aorta velocity is take above the level of the renals. If the renal artery is visualized your accuracy is in the high 80's.
Try to walk the doppler in and out of the aorta to the prox renal artery then you know 98% you have it. Do not use an angle inside the kidney. Do not be surprised if you find a stenosis inside the kidney,, they do occur. Google anything Marsha M. Neumyer  has written.
This GE site is great for positions and a good resource. Also look in the flownet archieves. there are several discussions. Keep up the interest, it's a great means for RAS ... no dye..

http://www.gehealthcare.com/usen/ultrasound/education/products/cme_ren_art.html

try it..

Denise Levy

cell 408-391-0837