From: UVM Flownet [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Micah Ehler [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SVU - Education Seminar @ the HIlton Crystal City

Denise,

I understand why you see it this way. Unfortunately the
workers of the Hilton Crystal City and my attempts of
handling this privately was unsuccessful. SVU leadership
will not even meet or speak with the workers. SVU refuses
to even discuss the boycott and their use of the hotel. It
is a stressful situation for everyone, the workers who are
struggling to take care of their families, and SVU now
being brought to make a decision of, do we stand by our
ethics and move? Do nothing and wait and see? Do we
support the workers struggle? Or, do we support the
company by denouncing the workers attempts of fighting for
a fair contract?

The workers and I have been attempting to have a meeting
with the SVU leadership since October of 2010. The respect
was never given to us to even have this discussion in a
private setting.

The reality of the situation is this. SVU has
unfortunately booked their conference @ a boycotted hotel.
Boycotts mean rallies, picket lines and other worker
actions directed at the hotel that customers may find
disruptive and upsetting. SVU can take the lead and
support the workers by honoring the boycott. They have
chosen not too. They can also make sure the conference
attendees experience is fulfilling by not putting their
members in a position of potentially having to cross
picket lines. Unfortunately this has not happened either.

I am always open to ideas of how we as a community can
work together. I am happy to speak with you more on this
issue.

In Solidarity,
Micah Ehler
Unite HERE