Great Horned Owls are sort of like domestic cats, from my understanding,
in that their predatory instinct is so strong that they will kill prey
even when they've just eaten.  When that happens, they do typically eat
or carry off the head and leave the rest, from what I've been told by
knowledgeable naturalists.  I don't think even a full-grown rabbit is
heavy enough to stop a GHO from carrying the whole thing off if it
wanted to.  Owl banders I've spoken to say they've never been up in a
GHO nest that they didn't find one or two cat collars in it, and cats
are heavier than rabbits.

Poor old wabbit.  RIP.

Jane
Shoreham