Interesting, Ruth.  Randy, maybe 10 or so miles from you, told a very
similar story a couple of weeks ago.  You should compare notes with him.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ruth Stewart" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2011 4:16 PM
Subject: [VTBIRD] bird? eats rabbit

This morning I was saddened to see that our resident rabbit,  who was living
under our deck, had met his demise in the night or early a.m.   The crows
were feeding.   The rabbit was clearly not frozen, the head was missing and
there were NO signs of tracks in the snow (fox) or tracks ON the snow.  Me
thinks this may have been the work of an owl who didn't or couldn't depart
with its prey.

What would decapitate a rabbit and leave the rest?

2 Evening Grosbeaks showed up briefly yesterday at my feeder.  Nice to see.
Wish they stayed.

ruth stewart
e dorset