Hello all,

I am posting this report on behalf of Jim Andrews.

After reading the reports of Snipes being seen in Bennington County
earlier this winter I've started looking for appropriate seeps or
streams here in Addison County as candidate winter habitats for Snipes
as well.  Glad to discover that Jim plowed through all the deep snow and
shrub thickets to follow the stream he describes below.

Ian

Fellow birders, I have been meaning to tell you about my Snipe sighting.  As you know, the little stream that runs out of the fish hatchery here in Salisbury stays open all winter and it is not unusual for a Kingfisher or Great blue heron to overwinter along it.  On the warm day (Thursday, Feb. 17) I walked down to the stream after lunch and flushed a Wilson's Snipe from the stream west of Smead Road.  I have never seen a Snipe in the winter.  We did get one at least once on the X-mas bird count but that was very unusual.  I donít know if this bird returned early or has overwintered here.

Made my day, along with the 53 degree temperatures.

James S. Andrews
Vermont Reptile and Amphibian Atlas Project
642 Smead Road
Salisbury, VT  05769
802-352-4734