This is an interesting list. I had occasion to visit the Charleston (SC) Museum in November. They advertise themselves as America's oldest museum. John Bachman was a minister at the Lutheran Church in Charleston and Audubon spent a good deal of time there with him. Anyway, the museum has an exhibit of bird skins that includes Bachman's Warbler, Carolina Parakeet, Passenger Pigeon, Ivory-billed Woodpecker, and many others. Not like seeing the real thing in nature to be sure, but.......

Bruce MacPherson
South Burlington

-----Original Message-----
From: Karen Willard <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, Feb 18, 2011 5:57 pm
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] 5 most sought after birds

And Ivory Billed Woodpecker!

From: Richard Enser <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, February 18, 2011, 4:13 PM

For me, this question always seems a little bit loaded because if you really
want to, and can afford to do so, you can see the birds most people want to
see.  But for the true naturalist that lives within us all, there are
those birds you really wish you could have seen.  My list would be:
1. Passenger Pigeon
2. Carolina Parakeet
3. Bachman's Warbler
4. Eskimo Curlew
And that only covers Eastern N. America.
Rick Enser, Braintree