I shipped 2 pairs of adult skis and 1 pair of 120 kids skis across the
county in a SportTube 3-pair model via FedEx Ground earlier this year.
$45 one way, $55 the other including an unscheduled pickup at the other
end and insured for $1200.  If you have the time to wait for the skis to
go ground, I think it really beats trying to fly with them.

The SportTube or something similar is pretty much a requirement for
shipping them - there was a ding in one corner of the plastic after the
first ground trip, and I'm not sure skis would have survived in softer
packaging.

The prices go up a lot if you're trying to ship express, which is
anything faster than ground.

    -- jacob