This is the kind of response I might send to our faculty :

=========================
Explanation :
Most Libraries have agreed to use this CONTU "Rule of Five"

They can be summed up in three sentences.

1. We do not need to pay Copyright Fees for articles that are published more
than Five years ago.

2. We do not need to pay Copyright Fees for "recent" (5 years or younger)
articles if we have requested five (5) or less "recent" articles from the
same Title/Publication in current this year.

3. We should pay Copyright Fees for each "recent" (5 years of younger)
article if we have already filled five (5) "recent" articles from that same
Title/Publication in this current year.

Justification :
     The CONTU "Rule of Five" is an attempt to make sure that the library's
use of a title is within "Fair Use".
If use of a title exceeds this "Rule of Five" it could be said that we would
be using ILL in lieu of a valid complete subscription to the title.

     Pursuing and paying for Copyright Fees for titles that exceed this
"Rule of Five" is considered fair and reasonable since it would paying for
small portions of copyright for each use.

     If we find that the Copyright Fees begin to exceed the cost of a full
subscription to a Title then our library should consider getting a
subscription.

========

Good Luck

--
Todd Puccio
Director of Technical Services / Librarian