To clarify, yes, the faculty member is the author of the book.  And yes,
I would have laughed out loud at this if the student didn't come into my
office crying.  The faculty member is trying to get her expelled for
copying the chapter.

Karen

>>> Karen Bulow <[log in to unmask]> 2/17/2011 9:16 AM >>>
One of our faculty has brought charges up against one of our students
for copying ONE chapter (8.4%) of his book so she can study the
chapter
at home.  He says she is in violation of copyright because this book
is
required reading in his class and he thinks she is trying to get out
of
purchasing the book.  I have found a lot of information on fair use
for
faculty but not for students.  Does anyone have a good sense of
copyright law as it applies to students, not faculty?

Karen E. B├╝low, MLS, AHIP
Research and Reference Librarian
Texas Chiropractic College
5912 Spencer Highway